Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Questions???

Christian life is both a destination and a journey. The destination is God, and if you are a believer in Jesus, you have already arrived at the destination. The journey is the unpacking of all that you received at the moment your life with God began.  Eph 1:3

Part of my evolving journey has to do with how I interact with God.  When hard things happen,  it's easy to ask God, “Why me?”  The problem with this question is that it keeps the focus on ME.  You can become a victim of other peoples’ actions, circumstances beyond your control, fate, or whatever. Still in the middle of some of the same circumstances that had not gotten better or changed, my question became, “God, what are You doing in allowing this in my life?” I believe that what God does not prevent, He does permit. God could stop any particular event or circumstance in my life at any time. If I am in the middle of something right now, apparently He has chosen not to prevent it. God, what are You doing in allowing this in my life? It felt like a valid question to ask, but in time I realized that with that question, deep down in my heart I was blaming God. And I was angry with Him for not making things better. My focus was still on me and my sorrow.

I do believe in God’s unconditional love. I have come to understand that everything God allowed in my life was out of His love for me. In the painful times this does not make sense to my rational mind, and that is when faith urges me to choose to believe. So, recently I have been asking God, “Would you reveal Your love to me in the middle of this?” In the moment, it changes my focus from me and my circumstance to God and His love. Everyday the unpacking of what He has given me soaked in His love is the journey of bending my skeptical bruised heart toward the reality of His love.  I press on.