Saturday, June 9, 2012

Days Eight & Nine

Going to combine a few days here because it may be tough to get on a computer for awhile.  I have often referred to these words of instruction Paul wrote to Timothy.  "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness."   He is showing his young friend, colleague and student that the bible is God's gift to us to educate, guide and keep us on track.  Sadly, many don't realize how much more the scriptures are capable of.  I've been through a good deal of heartache this year.  To protect myself, I closed down so many emotional portals so I could at least function day to day.  If I faced the sadness, I feared I would crack.  I am one of the ones who failed to realize God could and would heal me by using the scriptures, His Spirit and the love of the church.  I found myself going to the Bible to mine material to teach, train, correct and rebuke others just as Paul wrote but pulled back from allowing them to pierce me.  This past week, I dropped all my defenses.  The power of love soaked within each verse washed over me.  I am so thankful for what is happening during these days of rest.  Last night, the prophetic words of Isaiah reminded me exactly why Jesus extended friendship to me and to you:  He came, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion—to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning
and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.

Those words, offering a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair, rocked me.  God is providing me a fresh clean robe of praise.  I can and will toss off the weighty garment of despair.  Such a hopeful day.  

PS:  Note to self, don't forget all that Boo and C taught you at the fishing pond today.  What a gift they are to me.