Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Day Twenty

My definition of grace has been the same for decades.  Grace equals unmerited favor.  There is certainly truth in that statement but there is so much more to this expansive gift from God.  God's heart is literally soaked in grace.  Even as he dispenses such things as judgement and wrath, grace remains intact.  I have had plenty of time to reflect on God's grace and how I both receive it and extend it.  This story impacted me.

During WWII a man died in battle and his two friends desperately wanted to give him a decent burial. They found a cemetery in a nearby bombed out village. It happened to be a Roman Catholic cemetery and the dead man had been a Protestant. When the two friends found the priest in charge of the burial grounds, they requested permission to bury their friend, but the priest refused because the man had not been a Catholic. When the priest saw their disappointment, he explained that they could bury their friend immediately outside the fence. This was done.  Later, they returned to visit the grave, but couldn't find it. Their search led them back to the priest and, of course, they asked him what had happened to the grave. The priest told them that during the night he was unable to sleep. So he got up and moved the fence to include the dead soldier.  And so it is with God. He was not able to sleep until He had made a way for the unlovely and unworthy to be included in His gracious love. In point of fact, He not only moved the fence, He actually destroyed the barrier into His holy presence. But He did so through the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ and His cross. It is through the crucified Christ, and Him alone, that we freely approach the Father.

God's grace is truly amazing and it saved a wretch like me.  I finished a remarkable book by Jerry Sittser called A Grace Disguised.  Upon conclusion, I feel the same way about my understanding of grace as I do about my grasp on astronomy when I stare into the sky on a clear night.  It's overwhelming.